Spain

Spain

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Last day in Spain

Today was my last full day in Spain, and it turned out to be an excellent end to this journey. We visited Barcelona's most famous church this morning and returned to the beach in the afternoon.

We began the day with a trip to the Sagrada Familia church. Work has been under way on and off for more than 100 years on this awe-inspiring church. It's expected to be finished sometime this century, perhaps by 2050. Modernist architect Antoni Gaudi dedicated the later part of his life to working on this church that is 312 feet long and 197 feet wide. The church can seat 13,000 people. We began by taking the elevators to the top of one of the church's towers. Since we arrived at 9 a.m. and already had our tickets, we were among the first inside the church. We were also the first to ascend the tower. The views from the top were incredible as we looked at Barcelona. You also get amazing views of the church from the towers, as there are a plethora of lookout points. When I was here as a student, we also went to the top of the towers; however, we were able to climb up the narrow staircase instead of taking an elevator. I discovered that they no longer let visitors climb up to the top, as too many people started the journey up but then couldn't make it. Now, you take the elevator up but walk down. I'll post some pictures from the towers. When the work is completed, the church will have 12 towers in all, representing the 12 apostles.

We then came back down and spent more than an hour exploring the inside and outside of the church. The northeast side of the church, the Nativity Facade, depicts the birth of Christ. Gaudi supervised this part of the work before he died (On June 7, 1926, he was run over by a tram at an intersection in Barcelona.). The southwest side of the church, the Passion Facade, shows the death of Christ. This side of the church has been built since the 1950s. I'll post more pictures below from inside and outside the church, along with some explanations under the pictures.

We spent the rest of the afternoon at the beach. We visited Sitges last Friday and decided to return today since it was sunny outside. The beach was full of people! It was so full that it was hard to find an open spot! We stayed for about two hours and then returned to Barcelona around 5 p.m. to pack, have dinner and walk along the Ramblas one last time. My flight leaves at 8:40 a.m. Wednesday. I have to switch planes in Madrid and then fly straight to Chicago before catching another flight back to Fort Wayne. I should be in Fort Wayne around 6 p.m.

This will be my last entry from Spain, but I am planning to write another post or two to summarize my experiences in Spain. This trip has been incredible and has allowed me to fulfill my 14-year dream of returning to the country that first introduced me to Spanish.

Thanks so much to everyone who has been following my blog for the past 31 days. I have really appreciated the comments and e-mails, as they have been great motivation to keep posting every day.

I've had a marvelous time here but am excited to come home tomorrow to see my family and friends and begin preparing for another school year. I can't wait to get back in the classroom. My hope was that this trip would rejuvenate me as I teach my students Spanish and as I help them make connections between their culture and others. It has done just that and more, and I can't wait to share all of my experiences with my students in just a few weeks. It's going to be another great school year, and I am so thankful that I had this opportunity in Spain. I will forever be grateful to the Lilly Foundation.

Hasta pronto,
--Justin

Southwest side of La Sagrada Familia church --  the side showing the Passion Facade, or the last days of Christ's life and his death. The four bell towers are dedicated to the apostles James, Bartholomew, Thomas and Philip. The tower on the right is the one we ascended.


A view of Barcelona  from the top of one of the towers. Gaudi designed the church with 18 towers -- 12 bell towers and six higher towers to symbolize the approach between earth and heaven.


From the top of the tower. 


From the top of the tower. 


The spiral staircase leading down from the towers. 


Inside La Sagrada Familia.


Inside La Sagrada Familia.


Inside La Sagrada Familia.


The central part of the church's bronze door contains the entire text of the Paternoster in Catalan. On the two sides, in 50 different languages, the phrase "Give us this day our daily bread" appears.


It took some searching, but I found it in English. 


The northeast side of La Sagrada Familia is known as the Nativity facade. It shows the birth of Jesus. Work began in 1892 under Gaudi's direct supervision. The bell towers are dedicated to St Barnabas, Jude, Simon and Matthew.


The birth of Christ, as seen on the church's northeast side. 


The death of Christ, as seen on the church's southwest side.

No comments:

Post a Comment