Spain

Spain

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Barcelona bound

I'm off to Barcelona in just a little while and should arrive there around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. I had a little time in Murcia today and spent it by walking around the city center to see a little more of the area. I also spent about an hour just reading a book I bought a few days ago at the book store. It was really hot here today, so I found a nice bench in the shade in one of the many city parks to read and watched the people pass by. It was a pretty relaxing day here and would have been a perfect beach day! If I had more time here, I would have loved to have gone with everyone I met last night. Next time!

I also had lunch in one of the many cafes that line the streets of Murcia and thought I would write a little about eating out in Spain, as it is a lot different from in the United States. At most of the places I've visited, you seat yourself either inside or outside once you arrive (All of the outside seating is incredible!). The waiter then comes and many times you have to ask for the menu. The waiter normally takes your drink order and then returns with the beverage and the menu. About 10 minutes later, he returns to take your order. The food arrives a little bit later and it's normal for the waiter not to come back to check on you nearly as often as when you eat out in the United States. At dinner last night with Alejandra and her friends, this topic came up. Her friend who was with us yesterday lived in Miami for a year. He was telling me how odd it was when he would go out to eat in Florida because it seemed the waiter was back at the table every 10 minutes to see if he and his friends needed anything. It was annoying for him because he and his friends just wanted to eat and chat without being checked on so often. I now understand why, as the waiter doesn't return to the table nearly as often in Spain. Many times, you need to get his attention if you need something.

 
Another big difference has to do with the bill. In the United States, for example, it's normal for the waiter to bring the bill as soon as he sees you are done eating. We almost expect that to happen so we don't have to ask for it. Here, however, you have to ask for the bill, as it would be considered rude for the waiter to bring it to the table. It would seem as if he were trying to rush you to leave. People generally seem to take much more time here to eat when they go out because they enjoy talking with each other and relaxing. At dinner last night, for example, we were talking about Alejandra and her friend's impressions of eating in the United States. They always felt so rushed, especially when they had 20 to 30 minutes to eat lunch like we normally have at school or at work. Taking 20 to 30 minutes for lunch in Spain is so rare, as people normally take more time to socialize during the time away from school or work. It's one aspect of the Hispanic culture that has always fascinated me, and I really like it. I normally have about 20 to 25 minutes for lunch on the days I have time to squeeze it in, but most people here and in other Spanish-speaking countries think it is so odd to have such a short amount of time. I suppose most people in the United States would say the same about taking so long. It was an interesting observation I wanted to share.

My next post will be from Barcelona tomorrow night, the first Spanish-speaking city I ever visited. I'm curious to see if I'll remember my way around the area in which I'll be staying because I have reservations in the same hostel in which I stayed when I was 16 years old when Sra. Bailey brought my classmates and I to Spain. This whole journey through Spain has been so exciting and memorable, but the part I have been so excited about since I first applied for this grant is about to begin in Barcelona. Sra. Bills will be there, as well as my friend Tish who teaches at Carroll, and her friend. I am looking forward to spending the last part of this trip with my colleagues who are also my good friends.

Hasta manana,
--Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment