Spain

Spain

Monday, July 25, 2011

In Murcia!

I made it to Murcia this afternoon and had a great time seeing the area with Alejandra and one of her friends. Alejandra spent her senior year at Homestead in 2008-2009, and she came back to visit us once since then. She spoke to my Spanish IV classes one day about Spain and her hometown of Murcia, and she also showed us several pictures during her presentation. We all feel in love with Murica because of her beautiful pictures and stories. Since that day I had always hoped to visit Murcia.

 
That day finally came! Alejandra and her friend met me at my hotel around 6 p.m. and we walked through Murica to see the cathedral that was built in 1394 on the site of the mosque. We saw more of the city on foot and then stopped for some smoothies ... it was like being at Jamba Juice but only in Spain!

 
We decided to head back to the car and drive to Cartagena, which is located right along the Mediterranean Sea. Similar to Murcia, it's a very calm city. We walked along the coast for awhile and then went to see some Roman ruins. There are a lot of mountains here just like in Granada. We then got back in the car and drove to La Manga (the sleeve), a 14-mile stretch of land that is home to many beaches. It was my first time at the beach since I arrived in Spain, and the smell of the salt water and the sound of the waves were refreshing. We stopped at one of the beaches to get something to drink, and it was an absolutely idyllic spot. Mountains surrounded the beach, the temperature had cooled down and the breeze was blowing as the sun went down. It reminded me of being along the coast in northern California.

 
It was close to 10 p.m. and we had not eaten dinner yet, so we decided to meet Alejandra's sister at a restaurant close to her apartment. We ate at a delicious Italian place, and it was nice to meet Alejandra's sister. Alejandra's mom couldn't join us for dinner but she insisted on paying for our meals since she couldn't be there. I wish I could have met her in person to say thanks. Afterward, we drove back into town and they dropped me off at the hotel.

 
It was wonderful to spend the evening with Alejandra and her friends and see Murcia. They were such good hosts and incredible guides, and I really enjoyed seeing the area with them. I only wish I could spend another day or two here with them. It was also great for me to practice my Spanish all night talking about a myriad of topics. They even taught me a few new words and phrases that I didn't know! I have really treasured the moments on this trip when I can spend time with my friends who are native speakers. These conversations have really helped my Spanish since I've been here.

 
I'm leaving for Barcelona Tuesday, the final stop on my journey around Spain. It has been an incredible trip so far, and I'm really excited to return to Barcelona for the first time in 14 years.
 
Hasta luego,
--Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment