Spain

Spain

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Is that really a car on that "road?"

It's a good thing that most of the cars I've seen in Spain are small, especially for people who live in Toledo.
 
I traveled 44 miles south of Madrid today to visit one of Spain's most famous cities: Toledo, a medieval town known as the city of three cultures. It's also a World Heritage site because of its monuments and beauty ... and Don Quixote traveled through this area in Cervantes' famous novel! Located 2,148 feet above sea level, Toledo is home to 55,000 people, and the city is surrounded on three sides by the Rio Tajo. The old part of the city is built on hills, so today's journey included a lot of up and down through the narrow streets of this city that was once home to the Christians, Jews and Muslims.
 
Soon after I arrived, I began making my way to the famous cathedral. The streets in Old Toledo are just a little wider than the Rivergreenway Trail in Bluffton or the Aboite trails in southwest Allen County. On both sides of the streets are buildings, shops, hotels and more. There are no sidewalks ... just the narrow streets that are hundreds of years old and that look more like running trails than roads. When I first arrived I assumed these were just for walking but after about five minutes I saw a car coming down one of the "roads." The driver made it down the street with about 2 inches of free space on each side, driving about 2 mph. I just smiled as I watched, as did everyone else around me. And, of course, I had to take a picture, which I'll post below. SUVs would not stand a chance in old Toledo.
 
OK, so more about Toledo from what I learned today and read in my Lonely Planet book.
 
The Romans lived there, followed by the the Muslims. In fact, Toledo became the most important central city in Spain for the Muslims. It later became the capital for a small Arab kingdom. For some 50 years after, it was the place for learning and the arts in all of Spain. Around 1085 Alfonso VI arrived in Toledo and it became the most important city in Spain for the church. The Christians, Jews and Muslims lived together until 1492 when Granada, Spain, fell to the Ferdinand and Isabella, the Catholic monarchs. Those who didn't convert to Christianity had to leave Spain.
 
For a short time, Toledo almost became the capital of Spain but Felipe II decided on Madrid instead, even though his father Carlos I wanted the capital to be in Toledo.
 
My first stop was at the Catedral de Toledo, a Gothic structure that dominates the area. I walked through the church for nearly an hour admiring its many rooms and chapels. The organ within the cathedral was amazing. From there, it was uphill to get a panoramic view of Toledo and then off to the Synagogue of Santa Maria la Blanca, a symbol of the coexistence of the three cultures. From there, I went to the Iglesia de Santo Tome to see El Greco's famous painting, "El Entierro del Conde de Orgaz" (The Burial of Count Orgaz). Our guide explained that when Count Ograz was buried in 1322 that Saint Augustine and Saint Stephen came down from heaven to attend the funeral, as shown in the painting. You also see El Greco in the painting, as well as his wife, his son and Cervantes. I also visited a Franciscan monastery and church called San Juan de los Reyes. Isabel and Fernando built the church and actually wanted to be buried there. Once they took over Granada in 1492, however, they decided to be buried there instead. Work started on the San Juan de los Reyes in 1477 but actually wasn't completed until 1606.
 
Afterward, I made a quick stop for lunch before visiting the Alcazar (palace/fortress) in Toledo. The Alcazar is located at the highest point in Toledo. It was built in the 10th Century and later rebuilt as a royal residence until the Royal Family relocated to Madrid. During the Spanish Civil War in the early 1900s, however, it was destroyed. What you see today is the restored Alcazar, which houses the museum of the Spanish Army and an important library. Security was tight at the Alcazar and I couldn't take pictures inside.
 
I returned to Madrid around 6 p.m., had a light dinner and walked around a little before heading back to the hotel around 9:30 p.m. to write and upload these pictures. I'm planning on spending one more day in Madrid Thursday so I can make hostal reservations for the next few days, get a bus ticket for Friday and visit a few more spots I saw on the city tour. Look for another update tomorrow!

Buenas noches a todos!


Toledo, with the Alcazar in the background. The river is called Tajo.

Catedral de Toledo



The restored Alcazar, which today is a military museum and library.


That really is a car coming down one of the narrow streets in the old part of Toledo!


Streets in the old part of Toledo.

3 comments:

  1. I have been on those narrow streets and had to jump into the doorway of someone's home as a car squeezed through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to push my body up against a wall on one of those streets bc of a car! Justin, where did you take the first pic - did you have to take a bus to get this view? I have one like it from 2006, but I'd like another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Tish,
    Sounds like you and Susan had like experiences. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that car coming down such a narrow street! The bus I was on from Madrid made a stop at a lookout point so we could get off and snap a few pictures. It was before we drove into Segovia. There was kind of a pull off spot for cars and buses to stop. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete